Sunday, October 14, 2012
Carry On My Wayward Son...
Today's cards were the fastest set of all occasion cards using one stamp set I have ever made. If you know me, you know I love heat embossing, and that is pretty much the only technique this card uses!
Carry On - Hostess set, clear #126647 pg203 $10 Hostess Dollars
Versamark #102283 $7.50, refill #102193 $3.95 for 1/2 oz
8.5x11 2012-2014 In Colors #126838 $6.95 20 sheets, 4 of each color, pg 152
The red cardstock is retired Poppy Parade, try a version on Real Red which is current.
toothpick, round with sharp edges
Acrylic Block E #118484 $11.95
Embossing Buddy antistatic bag #103083 $5.95 pg 159
Heat Tool #129053 $29.95 pg 159
Paper Snips #103579 $9.95 for super sharp ribbon cutting
SNAIL #104332 $6.96 pg 177, refill #104331 $4.50 for 472" 39 1/3 feet - compare to big box stores!
Stampin' Emboss Powder in White #109132 $4.75 for 1/2 oz
I'm using up my 3/8" Whisper White Grosgrain here, but you can use this instead -
1/4" Stitched Whisper White Grosgrain #126877 $4.95 for 10 yards - compare! pg 173
or 5/8" Organza Whisper White Ribbon #114319 $5.95 pg 173
or 3/8" Taffeta Wihsper White Ribbon #109070 $6.95 for 10 yards pg 173
1. Reink your VersaMark pad with about 6 to 9 evenly spaced dots. Always store your inkpads upside down to ensure the ink stays at the top surface when you are ready to use them.
2. Cut your cardstock from 8 1/2 x 11 to 4 1/4 x 11. Score at 5 1/2 so cards stand up like a triangle. Cut as many cards as you are going to make, these are really super easy to make and would make a great gift set. If you use the In Colors you can use each sentiment in the set once. Decide which color for which sentiment.
3. Rub the Embossing Buddy thoroughly over each card front. Set up your Heat Tool, White embossing powder and spill tray. Beside those set up your stamping area as you will need to pour the powder over each stamped image immediately.
4. Align your clear stamps all on one large block, you can line them up nice and straight by butting the top and bottom edges against each other. I breathe on my clear block first, then press down on the stamps for three seconds.
5. Ink the stamps in Versamark and stamp on your cardstock, immediately pour the embossing powder on.
6. You can set each card aside after this step and do your embossing all at once, or you can emboss one at a time, it is up to you. Just be sure to have a nice empty counterspace to set your powdered cards where they won't get nicked.
7. Occasionally I'd get powder in tiny spots where I didn't want it, use the toothpick to scrape off the powder in those spots. Heat emboss, use tweezers or tongs if you are sensitive to heat.
8. Use white ribbon and small bits of SNAIL. I wrapped my edges around the card front and adhered.
You can push this design to WOW status with white layers and more bling, but I found the simplicity of this stamp set handy. Plus you should check out the original poster here: http://wartimeposters.co.uk/keepcalm
Now you know why I had to try it on Poppy Parade.